Veterinary & Clinical Internship
This internship, directly under the supervision of our veterinarian Dr. Mandie Wehr, is ideal for anyone interested in a career in veterinary medicine or animal sheltering. Applicants should be team players, excited about sheltering and animals, and interested in an intense 3-month internship learning about shelter medicine, population medicine, and shelter management. Duties will include intakes, vaccine administration, animal restraint and handling, some surgical assistance, veterinary data entry, and assistance with other shelter operations and clinical activities. Internship offered between June 1 – September 1, 2018. Deadline to apply is MARCH 15, 2018. THREE forty-hour/week positions available. Flexible schedule a must! This is an unpaid position. Both of these internships will require travel between our Brunswick and Edgecomb shelters.
Please include a cover letter, resume, and letter of reference. Applications can be submitted online, emailed (subject line: Internship), mailed or faxed to:
Coastal Humane Society
c/o Dr. Mandie Wehr
30 Range Road
Brunswick, ME 04011
Apply Online Now
- 40 hours a week for summer intern, Begins June 1 through August. (Flexible with end date to allow students to return to class).
- Individual must be self-directed, self-motivated and a team player. Good organizational skills and able to thrive in a fast paced environment. Must be 18 years or older and maintain a valid drivers license.
- Primary focus would be shelter medicine and overall sheltering including rounds, surgical assistance, filling prescriptions, performing health evaluations, performing intakes, population management, infectious disease control, behavior assessment and more.
- Assist with surgery, vet care, and medical management
- Assist with intake examination of all new animals
- Collect fecal, urine, and blood samples for testing
- Assist with the diagnosis and treatment of illness and injury
- Humane Euthanasia as needed
- Responsible for keeping isolation areas, quarantine areas and clinic clean with kennel cleaning required
- Assist with maintaining medical information database
- Will travel on at least one out of state transport trip during course of internship
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent problem solving and organizational skills
- The ability to maintain a positive and cheerful demeanor in a fast-paced and demanding work environment
- Computer experience in Pet Point or other shelter tracking software in addition to Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel helpful
Education Requirements: High School Diploma or Equivalent. Must be 18 years or older and maintain a valid drivers license. A phone interview may be performed
Internships will be announced on April 3, 2018